Keto Meatballs Swedish Brown with Gravy – Very Tasty!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: MeatBalls
- Method: Bakes
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Keto
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or unsalted butter if not dairy-sensitive)
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (omit for dairy-free)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat or lard (or unsalted butter if not dairy-sensitive)
- 1 cup beef bone broth (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos or wheat-free tamari
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional, for umami flavor)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat the coconut oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet.
- Add the onions, sprinkle with the salt, and cook gently for about 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Remove the onions to a bowl to cool.
- Put the ground beef, mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, and egg in a bowl.
- When the onion mixture is no longer hot to the touch, add it to the meat mixture and work everything together with your hands.
- Shape the meat mixture into 2-inch balls and place the balls on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- To make the gravy, place all the ingredients for the gravy in a saucepan.
- Boil, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until the gravy is thick and bubbly.
- Serve the meatballs with the gravy.
- If using store-bought broth, pour ½ cup of the broth (unheated) into a small bowl.
- Add 1 egg yolk and whisk to combine.
- After the gravy mixture has boiled for 10 minutes, reduce the heat to low and slowly whisk the egg yolk mixture into the hot gravy.
- Continue to heat while whisking until the sauce has thickened; this is somewhat like how hollandaise is thickened but in reverse.
- Store extras in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat a baking dish in a preheated 350°F oven for 5 minutes or until warmed through.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 550
- Fat: 44g
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 36g