Keto Meatballs Swedish Brown with Gravy – Delicious!
My mom often served meatballs and gravy over white rice when I was a child. This Keto Meatballs recipe is in her honor! This Keto Meatballs recipe is best with taste after serving it with brown gravy. Using homemade beef bone broth creates a nice, thick gravy. If you have only boxed broth or stock, it will work, but you’ll need to thicken the gravy with egg yolk.
If you like, replace 1 pound of ground beef with ground pork to make the recipe even more keto. Serve the meatballs over Zoodles or Cauliflower Rice. This Keto Meatballs recipe is so delicious with its great smelt! I can suggest you try this Keto Meatballs, you will love this one for sure!
Nutrition Fact per Serving: Calories: 550 | Fat: 44g | Carbohydrates: 1g | Fiber: 0.4g | Protein: 36gPrint
Keto Meatballs Swedish Brown with Gravy – Very Tasty!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: MeatBalls
- Method: Bakes
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Keto
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or unsalted butter if not dairy-sensitive)
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (omit for dairy-free)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat or lard (or unsalted butter if not dairy-sensitive)
- 1 cup beef bone broth (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos or wheat-free tamari
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional, for umami flavor)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat the coconut oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet.
- Add the onions, sprinkle with the salt, and cook gently for about 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Remove the onions to a bowl to cool.
- Put the ground beef, mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, and egg in a bowl.
- When the onion mixture is no longer hot to the touch, add it to the meat mixture and work everything together with your hands.
- Shape the meat mixture into 2-inch balls and place the balls on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- To make the gravy, place all the ingredients for the gravy in a saucepan.
- Boil, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until the gravy is thick and bubbly.
- Serve the meatballs with the gravy.
- If using store-bought broth, pour ½ cup of the broth (unheated) into a small bowl.
- Add 1 egg yolk and whisk to combine.
- After the gravy mixture has boiled for 10 minutes, reduce the heat to low and slowly whisk the egg yolk mixture into the hot gravy.
- Continue to heat while whisking until the sauce has thickened; this is somewhat like how hollandaise is thickened but in reverse.
- Store extras in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat a baking dish in a preheated 350°F oven for 5 minutes or until warmed through.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 550
- Fat: 44g
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 36g