Keto Skillet Moussaka – Very Quick & Flavourful
Moussaka is a Greek lasagna layered with eggplant its called Keto Skillet Moussaka. If you love feta and other Greek flavors, you must try this Keto Skillet Moussaka recipe! the Keto Skillet Moussaka recipe makes with three-layered and it makes the Keto Skillet Moussaka recipe so flavourful.
I assembled this Keto Skillet Moussaka dish one Sunday afternoon, covered it, and stored it in the freezer, unbaked. For that, I usually call the recipe Sunday special! The other day, I knew I was going to be too busy to prepare a meal when I got home, so I took the moussaka out of the freezer in the morning and pop it in the fridge to thaw for an easy dinner that night. In this way, it makes my dinner stressless!
Nutrition Fact per Serving: Calories: 428 | Fat: 33g | Carbohydrates: 9g | Fiber: 3g | Protein: 23gPrint
Keto Skillet Moussaka Recipe – Quick & Delicious
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Skillet Moussaka
- Method: Bakes
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Keto
- 1 small eggplant (about 12 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed to a paste or minced
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1½ pounds ground lamb or beef
- 2 cups finely diced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup ghee or unsalted butter
- ½ cup beef bone broth, homemade or store- bought
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 8 ounces feta cheese,
- Crumbled Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Fresh oregano leaves, for garnish
- Melted ghee, avocado oil
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To prepare the eggplant layer, cut the stem off the eggplant and remove the skin with a vegetable peeler.
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise into ⅛-inch-thick planks.
- Season both sides of the slices with salt and pepper.
- Place the eggplant on a greased rimmed baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven, but leave the oven on if you are baking the lasagna right away.
- Meanwhile, make the meat layer: Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee in an 8-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, lemon slices, oregano, and parsley.
- Cook, stirring often, until the onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the ground lamb and mushrooms.
- Stir to crumble the meat.
- Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cinnamon stick, then stir in the tomato sauce.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Remove half of the meat mixture from the skillet and place a layer of eggplant slices over the remaining meat mixture in the skillet.
- Top the eggplant layer with the rest of the meat mixture, then add another layer of eggplant.
- Set the skillet aside.
- Make the cheese sauce: In a saucepan over low heat, combine the ¼ cup of ghee and the broth.
- When the ghee is melted, whisk in the egg yolks, feta cheese, and nutmeg and stir just until combined.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, then fold them into the sauce.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the eggplant in the skillet.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake the moussaka for 30 to 40 minutes, until the top is golden.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with oregano leaves and a drizzle of melted ghee.
- Store extras in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheat a baking dish in a preheated 350°F oven for 5 minutes or until warmed through.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 428
- Fat: 33g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 23g